Homeschooling: Special Needs
Your Child’s Challenge Can I Do It? Resources Find Help The Law FAQs

Obtain Assistance In Meeting Your Child’s Special Needs

HSLDA is convinced that homeschooling may be the best way to meet the special needs of children who learn differently, and we are committed to assisting and protecting parents in this endeavor.

Families who choose to homeschool children with special learning needs often face a difficult battle. Therefore, providing the best legal protection requires each family’s conscientious assistance.

HSLDA encourages parents who are homeschooling a child with special needs to utilize the services of a private, local educational consultant. If therapy/related services, and/or testing is needed, HSLDA strongly recommends parents to secure those services outside of the public school setting.

Find a Professional Near You:

For this reason, the HSLDA Special Needs Department is pleased to provide our HSLDA members the following database. This database includes educational consultants, therapists, tutors, testers, counselors, educational diagnosticians, and other experts, such as licensed psychologists. Most of the professionals on this list have been recommended by other homeschool families as being homeschool friendly. HSLDA has not, however, independently verified the credentials, expertise, or homeschool friendliness of those on this list. Should you choose to work with a professional listed in this database and encounter an individual who is less than professional or is unsupportive to the homeschooling community, HSLDA would welcome your feedback.

Search the Database of Professionals

The capability to search is only available to HSLDA Members.
Please consider joining HSLDA or Login if you are already a member.

Funding Sources

Grant opportunities- We don’t visit these websites on a regular basis, so we can’t guarantee that they are still making funds available. Also, some of these organizations may give priority to children from a specific geographical location or who have a specific need. - list of organizations that help fund therapy and equipment

United Health Care Children’s Foundation The child must be covered by commercial insurance. They will pay the provider directly and cover costs/services that insurance does not.

Home School Foundation- –the benevolent arm of HSLDA. They are accepting applications for the Special Needs Children’s Fund in February. (This fund is available twice a year. February and August )

Administration for Children and Families Grants

Astra Zeneca – Offers free medication to people who earn $30,000 a year or less, or a family of four making up to $60,000 a year.

Autism Care and Treatment -

Bright Steps Forward –Bright Steps Forward, Inc. is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with the mission to ensure that all children in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties with neurological or developmental disorders such as autism and cerebral palsy have access to top quality physical, occupational, speech and ABA therapy.

Charity Fund – Provides services and purchases medical equipment for handicapped and disabled children provides educational grants to help children further their education.

The Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates, Inc. (COPAA) is an independent, nonprofit, national organization, mostly volunteer run that protects the legal and civil rights of students with disabilities and their families. It is an organization of lawyers who represent parents of children with disabilities and they provide a listing of many attorneys.

Different Needz Foundation –The Different Needz Foundation helps individuals with developmental disabilities obtain the necessary equipment and medical services they need to have the best quality of life.

Easter Seals – Provides services to help children and adults with disabilities and/or special needs as well as support to their families.

Faith and Family Foundation – Offers scholarships for children with disabilities to participate in therapeutic riding, adaptive swimming and a variety of programs.

Federal Grant Wire – 60 children’s federal grants, government grants and loans.

Kiddie Pool – Works as a fundraiser to help families raise money for special adaptive equipment.

Kya’s Krusade – Provides financial assistance for adaptive equipment and physical therapy, occupational therapy and hippotherapy sessions.

Lindsay Foundation – Assists families with resources necessary to provide medical treatment, therapies and rehabilitative equipment in order to improve the quality of life for their special needs children.

Morgan Project – Provides resources, gently used disability equipment and small grants.

National Autism Association -

Parker’s Purpose – Monetary assistance up to $1,000.

Prayer Child Foundation – Provides assistance to children 18 years and younger.

Quota Club – Assists children with speech and hearing disabilities and underprivileged women and children. Local chapters across the country.

Sertoma (Service to Mankind) – International organization that deals mainly with speech and hearing disabilities.

Small Steps in Speech – Assists children with speech and language disorders by funding supplemental therapies and treatments for individuals as well as grants to charitable organizations who serve children with communicative disorders.

Special Kids Therapy – Scholarship, limited to Ohioans, to be used for those therapies or activities that are not funded by public or private insurance, other charities or government agencies.

Zane’s Foundation – Provides financial support to families of special needs children, living in northeastern Ohio, through funds designated for respite care, therapies, or other assistive equipment.

Online Listings

Learning Ally offers a listing of professional specialists, by state, which parents can search in order to find professionals who can evaluate individuals for learning, physical and/or visual disabilities.

Find a Therapist is an online, free listing that parents may search in order to locate Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Therapists, Counselors, Group Therapy and Treatment Centers.

The Association of Educational Therapists supplies an on-line, searchable directory. AET can help parents find a Board Certified ET, Professional ET, Associate ET or Allied Professional member of the association in the United States or Canada. Currently they are unable to provide information about educational therapists in other countries on the website, but you may contact their office to inquire at 1-414-908-4949. An educational therapist can help identify and remediate many types of learning problems.

NCED Registry | Search for a qualified Educational diagnostician

Joni and Friends, Joni Eareckson Tada’s ministry, offers a listing of church-based disability ministries nationally.

The ADDitude Directory ADHD Resource Directory: Attention Deficit Professionals, Doctors, Coaches, Products