Position Title: Classroom Teacher
Position Type: Part-time, contract-based position
Location: Remote, work-from-home position
Estimated Hours: 10–20 hours per week
Contract Term: August 2014–May 2015
About PHC Prep Academy:
Founded in 2009 by Patrick Henry College and HSLDA, Patrick Henry College Preparatory Academy is an online learning program for homeschooled high schoolers and other students interested in excellent academic instruction with a fully integrated Christian worldview. The courses prepare students for the College Board’s Advanced Placement (AP)* exams and for the most rigorous college classes.
PHC Prep Academy is seeking Classroom Teachers to instruct, assist, and evaluate online students in its AP English Language and Composition course and to provide instructional and clerical support to the Master Teacher / curriculum designer during the 2014–15 academic year.
Required competencies for this position include:
- An advanced degree (MA, MFA, EdD, or PhD) in English/writing or a related field (strongly preferred) or a bachelor’s degree in English/writing with equivalent professional/teaching experience
- Experience teaching English composition at the high school level
- Knowledge of the Bible / Christian worldview and agreement with the Patrick Henry College statement of faith and statement of biblical worldview
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Operational knowledge of the internet and web-related technologies and ability to quickly learn new technologies used in the course
- High-speed internet access, a personal computer, and a computer microphone and webcam
Strong candidates will also demonstrate:
- Familiarity with online learning and the needs of online students
- Familiarity with home education and the needs of homeschooled students
- Prior experience with AP courses/testing, particularly the AP English Language and Composition course and exam
The Classroom Teacher’s primary responsibilities include:
- Leading a live online webinar each week to instruct and interact with students (daytime availability preferred)
- Grading student work
- Providing constructive individual feedback to help students improve their writing
- Providing timely answers to student questions via email and in online Q&A forums
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants may send their resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. When sending your resume, please include the following in the subject line: “Resume for Classroom Teacher Position for AP English Language and Composition.” All applicants should include the following documents; incomplete applications will not be considered:
- A cover letter, indicating your availability and explaining how your education and experience make you a good fit for this position and its required competencies
- Your resume
- A writing sample, preferably academic or other nonfiction writing (no fiction or poetry)
- Contact information for three references, two professional and one personal (not a relative)
Candidates under consideration for this position will also be asked to provide a grading/feedback sample, using a sample student paper, and a paragraph rewrite sample, using a paragraph rewrite exercise. The sample paper and paragraph rewrite exercise will be provided via email after we have reviewed your application.
PHC Prep Academy also offers courses in AP Calculus AB, AP English Literature and Composition, AP U.S. History, AP World History, AP Microeconomics, AP Macroeconomics, and AP U.S. Government and Politics. For more information, please see our course catalog.
*Advanced Placement and AP are registered trademarks of the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.