July 23, 2002

Note to Members: Instructions for Notifying Your School District

As the 2002-03 school year begins, many states require home schoolers to submit some form of notification of their intent to home school to the school district or Department of Education. Most states provide their own " version" of the form, often demanding information that is not required by law.

Since most states do not actually require home schoolers to use a specific form, HSLDA has developed forms for you to use in place of the state provided forms. Each form contains only the required information, which allows you to properly notify without giving the school officials more information than is required by law. If your state specifically requires you to use a state provided form, we provide a link to the form on our website.

Additionally, if you are removing your child from the public school system, we have developed a "Letter of Withdrawal" to be sent to your child's public school.

HSLDA members can download the required forms from the HSLDA website at http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/default.asp . Select your state from the state map, and click to the link "Forms and Other Resources" in order to access the needed forms. You will need your membership number as you do this.

If you live in any of the following states, you may be required to send in notice of your intent to home school. Please note that most of these states require annual notification, while others only require a one time notification.

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Virgin Islands, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

If you have any questions, feel free to call our legal staff.