May 14, 2008

Trouble Getting a State-Issued ID

Starting at the end of January 2008, new regulations became effective requiring documentation in four different areas before the state would issue a driver’s license or state identification card. The state now requires documentation of (1) your Social Security number, (2) your legal presence, (3) identity, and (4) Michigan residency.

After the new regulations went into effect, many homeschool families had trouble getting the documentation required for identity because of the acceptable documents listed, the only one that applied to many minors was school records, and parent-made documentation is not allowed. This meant that parents could not prove that their child was, in fact, who they claimed he was!

As many members called Home School Legal Defense Association, they were able to satisfy this requirement by obtaining a third-party identification letter from us. As this problem became more widespread, HSLDA looked into the situation to see if there was some other solution.

HSLDA then called the Michigan Secretary of State’s office to discuss the problem. HSLDA found out that many different types of documents can be used to fulfill the identity requirement. These are considered “life documents” and may include such documents as a church directory, test records from an outside source, awards or recognition from church or community groups, or a newspaper article—anything from a third party that has the child’s name on it.

This should provide a solution for homeschool families in Michigan who are getting their child a state-issued identification. However, the availability of use of these documents is not always known by the local branch. Thus, if your local branch office gives you a difficult time when you use “life documents” to prove identity, ask them to contact the Secretary of State’s office, or contact us and we can call the Secretary of State on your behalf.