|HOME SCHOOLING / INTERNATIONAL|
India Sees Rise in Homeschooling
In India, homeschooling is gaining a wide range of attention and support. Recent news items include:
Recent Christian education seminar (photo by Dr. Mathew SP)
- A homeschool family has petitioned the Delhi High Court, one step below the country’s Supreme Court, to clarify the new Right to Education Act’s position on homeschooling.
- Many homeschool families living in Mumbai were featured throughout the summer in the Hindustan Times, a major English language newspaper.
- Homeschoolers gathered in mid-August at the New Life Center in Borivli, just north of Mumbai, for a Christian Education Seminar, led by veteran teacher and school founder David Freeman from the United Kingdom. One homeschooler leader enthused, “We had an incredible day of teaching at the Christian Education Seminar. Those who could not come really missed something remarkable!”
The Christian Homeschoolers in India group notes several areas where prayer support is needed:
- Formation of a national homeschool association that can represent homeschoolers before the Indian government;
- A Christian Board and/or University in India or one recognized by the Indian Government so that homeschool graduates can register and pursue further studies;
- Godly Christian leaders in the field of education in the Government; and
- More Christians to be catch the vision about homeschooling.
Learn more by visiting HSLDA’s India page.