From the HSLDA E-lert Service:


10/11/2012 11:05:32 AM
Mike Smith HSLDA--Roy Hanson FPM
California: Major Legislative Victory

From the HSLDA E-lert Service...

California: Major Legislative Victory

From: Mike Smith - HSLDA and Roy Hanson -- Family Protection

Bill: AB 1799 (as amended 6/27/12) - Transferring Pupil Records
Author: State Assemblymember Steven Bradford

Position: Strongly Supported

Status: Signed by the governor! A tremendous victory!

Homeschool students may on occasion transfer from one school to
another [e.g. out of, into, or between Private School Satellite
Programs (PSPs), or, out of or into a public school program]. The
California Education Code (Section 48608) requires the pupil's old
school of enrollment to transfer the pupil's permanent school records
(commonly known as the cumulative file) to the new school of
enrollment when the pupil transfers.

The request to transfer the records is made by the pupil's new school
of enrollment.

If you are enrolling your child in a PSP, the PSP administrator makes
the request for your child's records. See for details on how and when
to do this either for the PSP administrator or for parents who have
established their own private school in their home.

AB 1799, which was recently signed by the governor, made a change to
this law that goes into effect this coming January. Beginning January
1, 2013, records of transferring students must be forwarded to the new
school of enrollment within 10 school days of the time the request for
those records is received by the pupil's former school.

Specifically, this law now states, "the pupil's permanent record or a
copy of it shall be transferred by the former public school or private
school no later than 10 schooldays following the date the request is
received from the ... school where the pupil intends to enroll." The
new law also defines a "school day" as "a day upon which the school is
in session or non-holiday weekdays during the summer break."

We supported this bill because prior to this legislation there was no
deadline for a pupil's former school to release school records to the
pupil's new school. Sometimes parents withdrawing from public schools
have experienced problems getting their child's pupil records from
their former school. AB 1799 will be especially helpful for parents
trying to withdraw their child from a public school to begin

If you or someone you know is not a member of HSLDA, will you consider
taking a moment today to join or recommend us and support our work
defending individual families threatened by government officials and
protecting homeschooling freedom for all? Join now >>

-> Can you call your attorney at 2 a.m. on Sunday morning?

Our members can get in touch with their attorney even after
business hours, when they have a legal emergency. Wouldn't you
like this level of service?

More reasons to join HSLDA...

The HSLDA E-lert Service is a service of:

Home School Legal Defense Association
P.O. Box 3000
Purcellville, Virginia 20134
Phone: (540) 338-5600
Fax: (540) 338-2733

How To Subscribe:

- Subscribe to the HSLDA E-lert Service at our website:

- Or send an email with name and complete mailing address to:

Subscription Information:

- You subscribed to the HSLDA E-lert Service as:


- To unsubscribe from the HSLDA E-lert Service send an email from
the email address you want to unsubscribe to:

- To change your email address or make other changes to your
subscription, visit the HSLDA E-lert Service account web page at:

POSTMASTERS: This message is being sent to the most recent address we
have for our subscribers. If this is an invalid email address or you
have other problems, please reply to
DISCLAIMER: This is considered a private and confidential message
from HSLDA to its bonafide HSLDA E-lert Service subscribers.
HSLDA cannot attest to the authenticity of copies posted, forwarded,
or sent by any party other than HSLDA.
NOTE: Please do not reply or otherwise use this email address; is for broadcast purposes only and is not intended to
receive incoming messages. We cannot reply to any email sent to this
address. If you have comments or questions, please send email to or call HSLDA at 540-338-5600. HSLDA members can also
email staff directly through the Members website at Thank you for your cooperation.