From the HSLDA E-lert Service:


8/5/2010 10:31:45 AM
Home School Legal Defense Association
Colorado: Reminder--Notice of Intent Required

From the HSLDA E-lert Service...

Colorado: Reminder--Notice of Intent Required

Dear HSLDA Members:

Families educating their children pursuant to Colorado's homeschool
law, Colorado Rev. Stat. sec. 22-33-104.5 are reminded to submit a
notice of intent for students between the ages of 6 and 16. Parents of
6-year-olds who intend to home educate are exempt but must still
submit a notification of intent to home educate to a Colorado school
district in the year that their children are 6 by August 1.
Instruction need not commence, however, until children are 7 years of
age. Parents who home educate are not required to instruct students
who are beyond the age of 16.

While there is no deadline or date by which you must submit your
notice, the law does require that you do so 14 days before the start
of your homeschool program and annually thereafter. This means you do
not have to file before the start of your local public school, only
before the start of your own homeschool program. Also, you may file
your notice with any school district in Colorado. The notice must
include the names, ages, residence, and hours of attendance of
children taught.

HSLDA provides a notice of intent form for members, which you can
access here: .

Only families operating under the nonpublic home-based education
program are required to send notification annually. All families whose
children are educated through an independent school (also known as a
"satellite" or "umbrella" school) located in Colorado do not send
notification to a school district.

If you operate a "home-based educational program," you are required to
have your students' academic progress evaluated at grades 3, 5, 7, 9,
and 11 by either a qualified evaluator or by using a nationally
standardized achievement test. Test scores or evaluations should be
sent to either the school district with which you file your notice of
intent OR to an independent or parochial school within Colorado. If
you choose to submit the scores to a nonpublic school, then you must
notify the school district in which you filed your notice of intent of
your choice to do so.

For a more detailed analysis of Colorado homeschool law, visit .

If you have any questions concerning the requirements of Colorado
homeschool law, please contact our office at (540) 338-5600.

Thank you for your membership and support!


Michael P. Donnelly
HSLDA Staff Attorney

-> What's the shortest distance between two homeschoolers?

HSLDA's elert service! When threats to homeschool freedoms arise,
you want to be able to respond. We make it possible.

More reasons to join HSLDA...

The HSLDA E-lert Service is a service of:

Home School Legal Defense Association
P.O. Box 3000
Purcellville, Virginia 20134
Phone: (540) 338-5600
Fax: (540) 338-2733

How To Subscribe:

- Subscribe to the HSLDA E-lert Service at our website:

- Or send an email with name and complete mailing address to:

Subscription Information:

- You subscribed to the HSLDA E-lert Service as:


- To unsubscribe from the HSLDA E-lert Service send an email from
the email address you want to unsubscribe to:

- To change your email address or make other changes to your
subscription, visit the HSLDA E-lert Service account web page at:

POSTMASTERS: This message is being sent to the most recent address we
have for our subscribers. If this is an invalid email address or you
have other problems, please reply to
DISCLAIMER: This is considered a private and confidential message
from HSLDA to its bonafide HSLDA E-lert Service subscribers.
HSLDA cannot attest to the authenticity of copies posted, forwarded,
or sent by any party other than HSLDA.
NOTE: Please do not reply or otherwise use this email address; is for broadcast purposes only and is not intended to
receive incoming messages. We cannot reply to any email sent to this
address. If you have comments or questions, please send email to or call HSLDA at 540-338-5600. HSLDA members can also
email staff directly through the Members website at Thank you for your cooperation.