From the HSLDA E-lert Service:


1/22/2007 10:00:11 AM
Home School Legal Defense Association
Nebraska--Calls Needed Immediately to Help Single Parents Homeschool!

From the HSLDA E-lert Service...

January 22, 2007

Nebraska--Calls Needed Immediately to Help Single Parents Homeschool!

Dear HSLDA members and friends:

Senator Philip Erdman has introduced Legislative Bill 101, which would
modify Nebraska's law to allow just one parent to sign the enrollment
statement for homeschooling under Rules 12 and 13.

This bill would reduce the burden on all homeschool families and make
it much easier for single parents to homeschool. For the full text of
L.B. 101, go to: .

The Education Committee has scheduled a hearing on Legislative Bill
101 for today, Monday, January 22, 2007, at 1:30 p.m. in room 1525 in
the State Capitol building. Calls are needed today to support this

Most everyone knows a single parent struggling to homeschool and this
bill would be a very significant improvement in the law to help these
families. Please contact the members listed below to support this
bill today.


Please contact members of the Education Committee (listed below) and
ask them to support this legislation.

Senator Ron Raikes, Chair
(402) 471-2731

Senator Gail Kopplin, Vice Chair
(402) 471-2627

Senator Greg Adams
(402) 471-2756

Senator Brad Ashford
(402) 471-2622

Senator Bill Avery
(402) 471-2633

Senator Carroll Burling
(402) 471-2712

Senator Gwen Howard
(402) 471-2723

Senator Joel T. Johnson
(402) 471-2726


Although only one parent's signature is required to enroll students in
an accredited public, private, or parochial school, both parents must
sign to file under Rule 12 or 13 as an exempt school. Additionally,
only a single signature is needed for a student to drop out of a
public school. There is no rational reason to treat exempt schools
differently in this regard from other schools.

Requiring two signatures places an unfair burden on single parents.
In many cases, the single custodial parent carries most of the
responsibility for raising the children while the non-custodial parent
is disinterested and uninvolved. In Nebraska, it often takes family
court action to obtain the signature necessary to homeschool. The
burden should be on the non-custodial parent to challenge enrollment
if necessary rather than on the custodial parent to obtain all
necessary signatures.

Legislative Bill 101 will reduce the administrative burden on
traditional families with two parents and make it possible for single
parents to homeschool without undue administrative burden. In some
cases, single parents are unable to reasonably obtain the signature of
the second parent. Some of these scenarios include situations where:

>The father is listed on the birth certificate but the mother has had
no contact with the father of the child since the birth of the child;
>The mother and child do not know the father's location and thus, can
neither divorce the father and obtain sole custody of the child nor
contact the father for a signature;
>The father may be in prison and thus is not involved in the education
of the children, but the mother does not have sole custody
documentation and can not readily obtain the father's signature.

Thank you for standing with us to protect parental rights!


Michael P. Donnelly
HSLDA Staff Attorney

-> Who's knocking on your door?

When a social service worker arrives at your door, tension can run
high. Wouldn't it be nice to get your lawyer on the phone,
providing you with immediate step-by-step guidance?

More reasons to join HSLDA...

The HSLDA E-lert Service is a service of:

Home School Legal Defense Association
P.O. Box 3000
Purcellville, Virginia 20134
Phone: (540) 338-5600
Fax: (540) 338-2733

How To Subscribe:

- Subscribe to the HSLDA E-lert Service at our website:

- Or send an email with name and complete mailing address to:

Subscription Information:

- You subscribed to the HSLDA E-lert Service as:


- To unsubscribe from the HSLDA E-lert Service send an email from
the email address you want to unsubscribe to:

- To change your email address or make other changes to your
subscription, visit the HSLDA E-lert Service account web page at:

POSTMASTERS: This message is being sent to the most recent address we
have for our subscribers. If this is an invalid email address or you
have other problems, please reply to
DISCLAIMER: This is considered a private and confidential message
from HSLDA to its bonafide HSLDA E-lert Service subscribers.
HSLDA cannot attest to the authenticity of copies posted, forwarded,
or sent by any party other than HSLDA.
NOTE: Please do not reply or otherwise use this email address; is for broadcast purposes only and is not intended to
receive incoming messages. We cannot reply to any email sent to this
address. If you have comments or questions, please send email to or call HSLDA at 540-338-5600. HSLDA members can also
email staff directly through the Members website at Thank you for your cooperation.