From the HSLDA E-lert Service:


6/20/2005 5:49:12 PM
Home School Legal Defense Association
Nebraska--Confusion at the Department of Education

From the HSLDA E-lert Service...
Nebraska--Confusion at the Department of Education

Dear HSLDA members and friends:

We have been receiving a number of calls from families who have
received the latest Department of Education paperwork. There seems to
be some confusion regarding the new law governing six-year-old
students. Legislative Bill 868 amended the compulsory attendance law
by raising the age from 16 to 18 (but providing an option for
homeschoolers to graduate early), and lowering the age from 7 to 6
(while permitting homeschoolers to opt out of this requirement with a
sworn statement). Unfortunately, the Department of Education
initially interpreted this change to require parents of six-year-olds
to send all paperwork to their local school district. This is not

The law requires parents of children who will turn 6 by January 1 to
file paperwork with either the state Department of Education or their
local school district. If parents prefer to file that paperwork with
the state, they should provide the standard Rule 12 or Rule 13
paperwork as they would for any of their other homeschooled children.
If parents would rather avoid this complicated filing, they may submit
a simpler statement, signed under penalties of perjury, to their local
district. Either option is valid; it is the parent's choice.

The affidavit for a local school district is available from HSLDA's
website here:

Parents who file with the state Department of Education must use the
Department's forms, available here:

Beth Bolte, of the Nebraska Department of Education, has assured us
she will not return any Rule 12 or Rule 13 paperwork filed on behalf
of a child who will turn 6 by January 1. Therefore, despite any
earlier communication or statements to the contrary which may appear
on the Department's website, there should be no real difficulty in
implementing the law.

HSLDA takes no position as to whether it is better to file with the
Department or with a local school district. Some parents prefer to
avoid making themselves personally known to school officials in their
own community, while others would rather use the simpler form and file
closer to home. The choice is up to each individual family, and we
are unaware of any negative effects either choice might have on the
greater homeschool community.


Scott W. Somerville, Esq.
HSLDA Staff Attorney
-> What do you look like when you get out of bed?

It's hard to look our best all the time. HSLDA works to present
homeschooling in an engaging, dynamic, and informative light to
the public news media.

More reasons to join HSLDA...

The HSLDA E-lert Service is a service of:

Home School Legal Defense Association
P.O. Box 3000
Purcellville, Virginia 20134
Phone: (540) 338-5600
Fax: (540) 338-2733

How To Subscribe:

- Subscribe to the HSLDA E-lert Service at our website:

- Or send an email with name and complete mailing address to:

Subscription Information:

- You subscribed to the HSLDA E-lert Service as:


- To unsubscribe from the HSLDA E-lert Service send an email from
the email address you want to unsubscribe to:

- To change your email address or make other changes to your
subscription, visit the HSLDA E-lert Service account web page at:

POSTMASTERS: This message is being sent to the most recent address we
have for our subscribers. If this is an invalid email address or you
have other problems, please reply to
DISCLAIMER: This is considered a private and confidential message
from HSLDA to its bonafide HSLDA E-lert Service subscribers.
HSLDA cannot attest to the authenticity of copies posted, forwarded,
or sent by any party other than HSLDA.
NOTE: Please do not reply or otherwise use this email address; is for broadcast purposes only and is not intended to
receive incoming messages. We cannot reply to any email sent to this
address. If you have comments or questions, please send email to or call HSLDA at 540-338-5600. HSLDA members can also
email staff directly through the Members website at Thank you for your cooperation.