Home School Court Report
Current Issue | Archives | Advertising | About | Search
- disclaimer -
January / February 2005

State Legislation Summary—2004
2004 art contest

Our Judges

Winners of the three categories
PHC beats Oxford in debate
GenJ: Into the land

What are Generation Joshua & HSLDA PAC?

Sodrel: One very tight race . . .

Davis: In a dead heat

From the heart

2004 in review

From the director

Impact of the fund

Mission statement of HSF
Across the states
Active cases
Members only
About campus
President's page


On the other hand: a Contrario Sensu

HSLDA social services contact policy/A plethora of forms

HSLDA legal inquiries

Prayer & Praise




AL · CA · CO · FL · GA · IA · KY · MI · MS · MO · NV · NJ · NM · NY · ND · OH · OK · OR · PA · RI · TX · UT · VT · VA · WA · WI


Difficulty in Crenshaw

At the beginning of this school year, the superintendent of Crenshaw County Public Schools sent a letter to the Higher Ground Academy administrator listing 15 students and insisting that a Church School Enrollment Form be filed for each of them.* Higher Ground Academy is a church school in Alabama through which parents teach their children at home. State law requires that parents file an enrollment form with their local public school superintendent at the time of their child's initial enrollment in a church school. However, there is no provision in state law requiring the form to be filed on an annual basis.

Home School Legal Defense Association Senior Counsel Dewitt Black responded to the superintendent's letter, pointing out that no annual filing of the enrollment form was required. Instead, state law provides that parents must give prior consent to the church school to notify the local public school superintendent whenever their child no longer attends the church school. It is assumed that church school enrollment continues until the local public school superintendent is notified otherwise.

Parents who are asked by public school officials to file the Church School Enrollment Form more than once should contact HSLDA for assistance.

— by Dewitt T. Black

* See "A plethora of forms".