The Home School Court Report
- disclaimer -
July / August 2003

Homeschoolers shine at competitions
Ready for the new school year
Farris given prize
The tide turns with the Stumbo decision

Signs of the turning tide

Timeline of the Stumbo case

The Stumbos' thoughts
Bush signs bill to protect families

Along the way

The National Center for Home Education
Freedom Watch

Watching school choice issues
From the heart
Across the states
Members only
Active Cases
About Campus
President's page

Beyond our expectations


Prayer & Praise

a contrario sensu (on the other hand)

HSLDA social services contact policy/A plethora of forms

HSLDA legal contacts for March/April 2003



AL · AZ · CA · FL · HI · IA · IL · KS · MA · MD · ME · MI · MN · MO · MS · NC · NE · NV · NY · OH · OR · PA · PR · SD · TN · TX · UT · VA · WA · WV


Filing the church school enrollment form

A majority of home educators in Alabama have their children enrolled in a church school as defined in Alabama Code § 16-28-1.

In doing so, parents, not the church school, are responsible for filing a church school enrollment form with the local public school superintendent. As a practical matter, most church schools file the enrollment form for the parents, but parents would be prudent to check with the local superintendent's office to confirm that public school records indicate enrollment of their child in a church school.

Local school districts will often insist that parents file a new church school enrollment form at the beginning of each school year. According to Alabama Code § 16-28-7, the enroll-ment form must be filed with the local public school superintendent by the parent at the time of enrollment. However, there is no provision in this statute requiring the form to be filed on an annual basis. Instead, the parent must authorize the church school to notify the local public school superintendent should the child cease attendance at the church school. This authorization appears on the enrollment form signed by the parent.

Parents who are asked by public school officials to file the church school enrollment form more than once should contact Home School Legal Defense Association for assistance.

Dewitt T. Black