N A T I O N A L C E N T E R R E P O R T S
Goals for 106th Congress
HSLDAs goals for the second session of this Congress include:
- Oppose reauthorization of School- to-Work Opportunities Act.
- Eliminate National Board of Professional Teaching Standards.
- Eliminate discrimination against home schoolers in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
- Amend National Assessment of Educational Progress Act by narrowing it to its original intent and prohibiting it from being used as a national test.
- Achieve final passage of the Academic Achievement for All Act to reduce federal control over education and the Teacher Empowerment Act that prohibits creation of any national teaching certificate.
- Amend the Elementary and Secondary Education Act to prohibit any federal control over home schoolers and to exempt all home schools from the Gun-Free School Zone Act.
- Oppose the Religious Liberty Protection Act (RLPA) in the Senate since it will actually harm religious freedom.
- Support H.R. 2494, the Children Tax ID Alternative Act that will allow families with a religious objection to obtaining social security numbers for their children to provide alternative documentation.
Taxes and Spending
- Pass Education Savings Accounts to provide a tax benefit for parents saving for their childrens education, including home education.
- Pass Education Tax Credit legislation.
- Eliminate Marriage Tax Penalty.
- Oppose Senate Ratification of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and UN Convention Against All Forms of Discrimination Against Women.