2013 HSLDA Photography Contest Guidelines
Submission Dates: June 1st through August 1st 2013
Theme(s): Each student may submit up to three (3) entries based on their prompt:
Category I: Ages 7–10
Category II: Ages 11–14
Category III: Ages 15–19
We try to choose themes that leave plenty of room for imagination and interpretation. We invite you to be creative and have fun! Our judges are looking for a fresh perspective on a familiar subject. Check out judges’ comments from previous contests to get a better sense of what to look for or avoid when taking your picture. Hear it from the judges!
Prizes for Each Category
|Honorable Mentions (2)
Ages as of June 1, 2013
Category I: Homeschoolers* ages 7 to 10.
Category II: Homeschoolers* ages 11 to 14.
Category III: Homeschoolers* ages 15 to 19.
* For the purposes of this contest, an eligible student must have been home educated in the past year and be receiving the majority of his or her current education at home.
* The staff and immediate family members of HSLDA and all related entities (PRO, HSF, GenJ) are not eligible to participate in contests sponsored by HSLDA.
- 8”x10” color or black & white print on photo paper.
- Prints should NOT be framed or matted.
Mail photographs to:
PO Box 3000
Purcellville, VA 20134
- Entries must be postmarked on or before August 1st, 2013.
- Winners and finalists will be notified by letter and/or email and announced on HSLDA’s website and e-lert service by mid-September.
- $10.00 - HSLDA Member Discounted Entry Fee
- $15.00 - Regular Entry Fee
Make checks payable to “HSLDA” and write “Photography Contest” in the memo line. Please do not enclose cash.
Students or families submitting multiple entries may include the multiple fees in one check but should complete a separate entry form for each photo.
Judges will select 12 to 20 finalists per category. All of the finalists’ photographs will be displayed at the HSLDA office. Of the finalists, three winners and two honorable mentions in each category will be selected. Judging will be made based on subject, creativity, and composition. The decision of the judges is final.
Final Check List:
- Entries must include a completed and signed entry form.
- Entries must include entry fee (check or money order).
- Please avoid putting entrant’s name anywhere on the photograph.
- Original photographs only. No digital manipulation or touchup is allowed, except for cropping and adjustments to contrast, hue, saturation, tone, and sharpness. These techniques must be applied to the image as a whole, not to only certain areas. Traditional techniques during film development and printing are allowed. In other words, we are more interested in the photographer’s skill than in his or her ability to manipulate an image in the darkroom, digital or otherwise.
- Profits from the contest will go to the Home School Foundation’s Special Needs Children Fund.
- Photographs become the property of HSLDA and will not be returned. Entry in the contest constitutes permission for HSLDA to use the prints for publication at its discretion.
- All judgments are final and interpretations of the guidelines are at HSLDA’s sole discretion.
Please contact the Contest Coordinator at email@example.com with any questions.